Garbage and Recycling Services
The Village's contract provides for the pick-up of garbage deposited only in the automated cart, plus one bulk item per week that one person can handle. If you have additional garbage for pick-up, you may call Groot directly at (847) 693-2700 and make arrangements with them for a special pick-up. Groot will charge you a separate fee for any special pick-ups that are not included in the standard service provided by the Village contract.
The most recent Groot Contract was executed on January 1, 2022, and terminates on December 31, 2028. This agreement amends the original 2014 Groot Contract. For all other questions, please call Village Hall at 847-356-8252.
View Garbage & Recycling Rate Information
Residents have the option to participate in landscape waste collections weekly from April 3rd through November 27th. The two programs offered are as follows:
- Landscape waste stickers: Residents who have limited volumes of yard waste will have the option to purchase a sticker for $2.50 and place it on either a 33-gallon can or a biodegradable yard waste bag. This is the standard program.
- Residents may have unlimited bags or 33-gallon cans of leaves from October 18th - November 29th; no stickers are needed.
- Subscription Service: Residents who generate higher volumes of yard waste may elect to pay an annual fee for the collection of landscape waste season. Up to 4 cans or bags are allowed per week from April 1st to October 15th. Please contact Groot at (847) 693-2700 to sign up. This service is $170 annually.
- A box spring and mattress are considered one large item
- Carpeting should be in rolls no longer than 4 feet long and two feet in diameter and taped. 5 rolls are considered as one large item.
- In general, try to keep any loose material bundled and neat to facilitate pick up.
- Stone, concrete, and dirt can only be picked up in containers and cannot weigh more than 45 lbs. per container. Two containers will be considered one large item.
Christmas trees may be placed out for collection through the second week of January for no extra charge.
Groot Industries offers collection of these items directly from your home for an additional fee; however, you must call in advance to schedule a pick-up and make arrangements.
All items collected will be recycled and rendered inoperable. Due to the sensitive nature of some electronic items (computer hard drives or storage devices), we prefer to pick up items from the front, side, or top drive locations.
Customers also have the option to bring their items directly to drop-off sites throughout the area, most of which are for no charge. Please visit SWALCO's area drop-off locations.
For a list of electronic drop off locations, please visit SWALCO's website.
State laws require Groot to collect any white-good type of appliances such as refrigerators, ovens, washers etc. separately, and recycle them. Please call Groot at 847-693-2700 to schedule and make arrangements for payment of this additional fee item.
If you need a large amount of extra rubbish picked up at once, there will be an additional charge, and you must call the Groot to arrange for scheduling and payment. If you choose to have your clean-up done on a day other than your regular service day, an extra trip fee will be charged.
Some items are too big or heavy for our people to handle without special equipment, so your driver may leave them so special arrangements can be made. In this event, special charges will apply. Please call Groot if you have something that may fall into this category.
SWALCO is the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County. SWALCO hosts household chemical waste collections and year-round public drop-offs (appointments required). Please click here for a list of acceptable and unacceptable items.