- Obtain a Building Permit Application from the Village's website, or from the Village Hall.
- Complete the application in its entirety including any drawings, plans, surveys, or required supporting documents.
- If submitting hard copies in-person at the Village Hall, three sets are generally required for all commercial remodeling projects. Two sets are required for all residential remodeling projects.
- If applicable, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to confirm compliance with any additional regulations in their Homeowner's Association. The approval of a building permit by the Building Department does not imply adherence to any HOA covenants, conditions, or restrictions.
- Permits for re-roofing, siding, furnace or air conditioner replacements, water heaters, sewer repairs and electric service upgrades can generally be issued within one business day via email. Other permits requiring review typically take between 3 to 10 working days.
- The Building Department will notify you when your permit application has been approved. Permits can be paid via telephone at 847-356-8252, and will be emailed to you, or sent via U.S. mail. If necessary, permits can be picked up and paid for at the Village Hall, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Permit prices depend on the scope and size of the project. Green permit cards must be displayed at the building site and be visible from the street.
- Upon completion of the project, the owner must contact the Building Department to schedule a final inspection. Certain projects require several inspections throughout construction (i.e. finishing a basement or any addition or remodeling project). This can be clarified when the permit is received.
- Following a successful final inspection, the Building Department will issue and mail you a "Certificate of Completion." This form serves to close out your permit. At this point the permit card may be removed from the building site.
For any additional questions, please contact Village Hall at 847-356-8252