Community Notification- Preparing for Extreme Cold and Wind Chills
Weather forecast predictions are calling for extremely cold temperatures and wind chills of -10 to -30 from Sunday, January 14, through Wednesday, January 17. Residents are advised to take necessary precautions during this period of extreme cold.
- The Village Hall Village Board Room will serve as a warming center. Please contact the Police Department at 847-356-5400 to arrange access.
- Severe weather may impact the pipes in your home. If your home has a crawlspace that isn’t insulated, please keep an eye on your pipes because they are exposed to cold air. Similarly, pipes aligned with an exterior wall or in a non-heated area of your home, such as a kitchen or a bathroom sink, are also at risk of freezing. If temperatures fall below zero, open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to reach the pipes. Additionally, residents can leave a faucet on a slow drip to prevent freezing.
- Wear multiple layers of clothing, a hat, and gloves to protect against cold temperatures and wind.
- Check your car's battery, fluids, and tires before traveling. Make sure to have an emergency kit in the car that includes blankets, a flashlight, snacks, a first aid kit, and jumper cables.
- Do not leave pets outdoors or in vehicles for extended periods. Similar to people, cats and dogs are susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia.